Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: What appliances are furnished?  
A: Refrigerator, stove, clothes washer, and clothes dryer.  

Q: Who do I contact if something is broken?
A: Call 317-903-9995 - we will make arrangements to repair as soon as possible.  In the event you do
not get prompt attention to the matter call 765-426-8280 or 765-418-8829.  

Q: Are pets allowed?
A: Please call about pet policy.  

Q: Is smoking allowed?
A: No, smoking is not allowed in the house or on the property.  

Q: Who pays for the utilities?
A: The tenants pay the monthly utilities.

Q: What are the utility names and contact information?
A: Utility Service & Company
  • Electric - Duke Energy  800-521-2232
  • Natural Gas - Vectren 800-227-1376
  • Water / Sewer / Trash - Indiana American Water Co. 800-492-8373
  • Telephone - Verizon Communications or 800-483-4600
  • Cable TV - Comcast  800-266-2278
  • Metronet - Internet, Telephone, TV or 844-684-0215

Q: Why is Indiana American Water Company the contact for Sewer and Trash?
A: By calling Indiana American Water Company they pass along your name to the City of West
Lafayette.  The City will then show you as the current occupant of the house.  You will then receive a
bill directly from the City of West Lafayette for both sewer and trash services.  Indiana American Water
will only bill you for water service.

Q: What are the contact numbers for the City of West Lafayette sewer and trash departments?
  • West Lafayette Sewer Department 765-775-5140
  • West Lafayette Street, Trash, & Recycling 765-775-5242
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions